Tuesday, November 19, 2002

Brian Kritzman and I went to The Changing of the Avant-Garde exhibit at the MoMAQns on Saturday - which is to die for. I fell in love with drawing all over again. The on-line exhibit is stunning as well: the handiwork of For Office Use Only. The Drawing Now exhibit is also brilliant, and the 'greatest hits' from the MoMA's permanent collection just floored me. I'd seen all the pieces before, but never have been in a room of such an intense concentration of pivotal work. Wow. Great new building as well. This was a real treat after being swindled out of $17 each for admission to the recently opened and much hyped Museum of Sex. This is hands down the WORST museum I've ever been to. Junk exhibit design, junk floorplan, junk craftsmanship, junk lighting, junk, junk, junk. I think I actually heard that it cost about two dollars per square foot to build, and I think they were ripped off. The staff was nice enough I suppose, and the content was what it was. I guess its impressive to build a space with nothing but a stack of drywall, a Sawzall, chewing gum, and some left over latex paint. It seems like they're trying to make some money fast and close up in a few months. Maybe its business as elaborate performance art? Even so... junk. MoMA... rocks.

See all you NYC kids at Galapagos tonight!

No comments: