Wednesday, August 29, 2007

If I had to list my top ten favorite bands, it would be Duran Duran and The Cars. 3-10 I'd have to think about. Those are the only two I would name without a second thought.

And Solvent.
OK, there's three.

And X.
And Vitalic.
And Nick Cave.
And Skinny Puppy.
See, now I'm thinking too much.

Movies... that's easy: Blade Runner.
Nothing else even comes close.

Except for The Pillow Book.
And 8-1/2 Women.
And Brazil. Definitely Brazil.
And Michael Radford's Nineteen Eighty-Four.
And Beetlejuice.
And Heathers. Definitely Heathers.
And Mirrormask.
And Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
And Time Bandits.
And The Professional.
Dammit...

What I'd really like to see is Peter Greenaway adapting Calvino's Invisible Cities starring Winona Ryder as Marco Polo and Rutger Hauer as Ghengis Kahn, designed by Dave McKean and Terry Gilliam, and executive produced by Ridley Scott and Tim Burton. That's a movie that would cost 300 million dollars to make and nobody but me would see... but I'd see it like fifty times. Maybe my casting is way off. Perhaps Johnny Depp as Marco Polo and Shatner as Kahn. (That would be ironic, no?) That could be the role of his life... bigger than Kirk even! Could you imagine William Shatner waxing poetic in a Venetian garden decked out as a Mongolian war lord under Greenaway's direction? Who do I give my ten bucks to?! Oh, even better yet... Gary Oldman as Ghengis Kahn. (I was about to say Travolta, but... Oldman = Kahn.) Picture that. I know you're going to rail me for this, but Leo DiCaprio as Marco Polo.

More randon thoughts later perhaps.

No comments: