Thursday, April 15, 2004

I was never the NIN fan that most of my friends were, particularly after the 1989 (!) classic Pretty Hate Machine. But once I got over the fact that Spiderland came out in 1991 and Sheet One in 1993, I started to wonder if perhaps Doyle could be right. Has there been a musically and culturally significant album since The Downward Spiral? Then it hit me...

Bjork- Post (1995)

I'll argue with anyone that "Hyperballad" was the best song of that entire decade. And unlike Mr. Reznor, Bjork didn't go into producing dreck soon after. "Army of Me" could be played against any current electro-industrial revival (listening Dorkwave?) while "It's Oh So Quiet" would be the perfect song for your American Idol audition. Of course, Bjork had sone help- Mark Bell (LFO) Nellee Hooper (Massive Attack, Soul 2 Soul), Howie B, Tavin Singh, Tricky, Graham Massey (808 State). And the Spike Jonez video more or less kick-started that acutely '90s career.

And oh yeah- the lyrics are MUCH better.

No comments: