Tuesday, April 13, 2004

In Love With a German Who's Much Too Good For Me



*A Note on Performance: Audi understands that the full enjoyment of this vehicle's performance capabilities cannot be experienced during normal, everyday driving where you must obey local speed and traffic regulations. Maximum performance should be employed only when the location, conditions and roadway permit such driving performance. Drive safely and always use available safety restraints.

Uh-huh.

Truth is, I'm scared to drive the RS6. (Would end up in jail or dead.) I did however take Audi's second fastest product, a brand new S4 (at a mere 340hp) out for twenty unsupervised minutes the other day, which is not only the fastest, but the most well mannered and unflappable car I've ever driven. Even with more power in reserve than I'd ever know what to do with, I managed to trigger the surprisingly polite rev limiter (going about 100mph in third gear), and my test drive partner Ed Schowalter took the S4 from 80mph to an abrupt halt with no hint of nose-dive, squirming or sqealing whatsoever. Not only does it have giggle-inducing torque and complete composure in situations that would send any other car spinning into a ditch (especially M3s - heh), every inch is crafted like a fine piece of Herman Miller furniture, down to the cast and polished solid aluminum mirror housings. I never thought I'd utter the words "too much power", and perhaps the now permamnent grin betrays that notion, but its probably a good thing I can't afford this car. We'll see how long the local Audi dealer puts up with us taking it out for a spin every lunch hour though...

As Ryan Elliot pointed out, the only thing appropriate to listen to in a car like this [other than the engine] is T Raumschmiere.

No comments: