Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why Does Google Hate Detroit Techno?

Not really. I mean... I don't think so.
Let me back up for a sec. and start over...

Google Street View for Detroit went live yesterday. As the 11th largest city in the country... whoa, tangent: When the hell did San Diego, San Antonio, Phoenix and San Jose pass us? What is that about? Those were considered cute resort towns when I was a kid, if they even existed back then. Anyway, as the 5th largest city in the country (in 1970), one might figure Detroit would be one of the first to be photographed by Google's Immersive Media's army of New Beetles. Well knowing that Detroit is generally considered a third world country within the borders of the United States, we don't take anything for granted. That's why it's a pleasant surprise whenever someone thinks we're important enough for something like early adoption of Google Street View.

where's the technos?

Street View is a fantastic application, and I'm really impressed with the extent Detroit is documented so far. The thing is though, the very first place I went was Techno Boulevard - specifically the block of Gratiot which is home to Transmat, Metroplex, KMS and the Atlas Building. It turns out this the only block of Gratiot not documented on Street View. You can get as close as the corner of Gratiot and Russell, but not close enough to get a good view. I suppose it's no big deal for me, since I'm down there all the time, but I have to imagine that block would be the primary site of interest for techno tourists.

Chances are the camera car took a left turn into Eastern Market and just forgot to go back and cover that block. Still, it's entertaining to think there's a conspiracy at foot. (I'm easily entertained sometimes.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe there were naked ladies on that block.

C.A.I.R.O. said...

funny i noticed that today while trying to check out transmat