Saturday, January 03, 2009

Calatrava in Venice

[How on earth did I miss this?]


photo by seier+seier

The fourth bridge to span Venezia's Grand Canal opened this past September. Ponte della Costituzione was designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava and features alternating glass and marble steps over a rhythmic red steel arc. The architect calls it "my most beautiful bridge." From the images I've seen, I absolutely agree. The rich combination of color and texture adds intimacy to his always stunningly elegant [but generally monochromatic] structures.



photos by nikite

1 comment:

G F Mueden said...

I agree, it is a beauty, but I have a concern with accessibility. Does it make any concessions to people draging their wheeled baggage? It serves two tranportation hubs.

I also worry about how it meets the ground at each end. Does it do it with equal grace?

===gm===