Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Monocle Magazine

I love magazines. I often devour entire copies of The New Yorker, Automobile and Wired on single leg of a flight. My latest favorite is Monocle. The UK-based magazine was launched one year ago by journalist and Wallpaper* publisher Tyler Brûlé. It trades the big glossy layouts of its cousin for in-depth articles printed on sturdy matte paper - covering international affairs, business, travel, food, culture and design, targeted squarely at grown up gen-x'ers. The smart articles are complimented with artful photography and infographics that rival those found in the pages of GOOD. As the Huffington Post describes, "Where Wallpaper* could legitimately have been described as 'style with substance,' Monocole is the inversion, arguably well summed-up as 'substance with style'." I quite like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you on this. Monocle Magazine is probably the best publication that has hit newstands in years. Besides its thought-provoking articles, it doesn't appear to be advertiser-driven. I just received my March issue yesterday. There is a great article on the old camera formats and another on a shoemaker Bontoni-who makes only 8 pair of shoes a day. Would love to get a pair of those shoes.