Friday, February 29, 2008

Spoonbill & Sugartown Booksellers

Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Every time I get off the L-Train at Bedford or Lorimer it happens. I know I'm supposed to be in this hamlet of hip but it always seems more like New York channeling my neighborhood in southern Hamtramck. Being a directionless Detroiter lost in the mysterious broadways of Brooklyn I had merely missed the mark. This month I finally found the strip as it were and toured W'burg's cafés and shoppes aplenty. This is a hipster hub to be sure and while I didn't think it was the end-all, I did make a splendid survey of Spoonbill & Sugartown Booksellers.

This fantastic(ally small) bookstore is a haven for the arts and culture book lover. S&S specializes in used, rare and new books on contemporary art, architecture and various design fields. What I found most delightful though, and their website makes note of this, was the serendipitous mix of odd finds and specialty publications. Over here is Paul Felton's The Ten Commandments of Typography. On this table over here is a selection of current and back issues of Cabinet magazine. On that shelf over there is a copy of J. Muller-Brockman's The Graphic Designer and His Design Problems. Everywhere I turned was something I admired or desired.

It was packed in there but it was worth it, even among the throngs of scenestery patrons. Stop by when in W'burg.
Spoonbill & Sugartown Booksellers
218 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11211, Tel. 718.387.7322

No comments: