Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Double-Taker (Snout)

Golan's newest project makes me smile. What would Jim Henson do with an industrial robot and 3D blob tracking? Something like this:




"Oh, hello there!"


Custom software. Read about it here.


The man and his googly-eyed robot.

I think a lot of people think of Golan Levin primarily as a "technology artist", which I don't totally agree with. His real talent - the magic in his work - is the ideas. There's a whimsical genius there that the best programmers in the world can't even begin to comprehend. He also happens to be highly skilled at applying and inventing new technologies to create the experiences in his head. Without hyperbole, I really think he's one of the this century's greatest artists... at least one of the "most 21st century artists" working today.


postscript: While I was writing this post, Andrew informed me that Boing Boing already got to it. Dammit! I like to be first! Burnlab is supposed to be where the cool sites go to get real dirt... [It would have been up faster if I wasn't making a real concerted effort to not blog while I'm supposed to be working. Hey, a lot of times I'm working when I'm supposed to be blogging. It all balances out.]

No comments: